Some aspects of life are so weird and wonderful.
Yesterday, I learned some of these absurd-but-true, fun facts in a sermon from Allen Brimer. These come from here, here, and here. Did you know these are true?
1) We breathe primarily through one nostril at a time, and our nostrils take turns every few hours in being the primary nostril.
2) Dolphins call each other by names. How cute is it that dolphins name each other?
3) A lemon is 70% sugar, while a strawberry is only 40% sugar.
4) Figs aren’t considered vegan because they have dead wasps inside.
5) We are born with only two innate fears — the fear of falling and the fear of loud noises. All the other fears are learned.
6) You can tell the temperature by counting the crickets’ chirps.
7) Children of identical twins are genetically half siblings, rather than cousins (which they are legally).
8) The official bird of Redondo, California is the Good Year Blimp.
9) There’s an entire holiday dedicated to what the world would be like if dogs and cats had opposable thumbs.
10) Bamboo grows so fast it’s measured in miles per hour.
11) Da Vinci’s The Last Supper originally included Jesus’ feet, but they were cut off to build a doorway.
12) The inventor of the Pringle’s can is buried in one.
13) Bubble wrap was originally intended to be wallpaper.
14) Humans are the only animals with chins.
15) Charlie Chaplain once lost a Charlie Chaplain look-alike contest. He came in 3rd.
16) Manhattants are a species of ant that are found within a 14 block area of New York City and nowhere else on earth.
17) It rains diamonds on Jupiter.
18) Can openers were invented 48 years after cans were invented.
19) From the time it was discovered and then recategorized as not being a planet, Pluto did not complete a single trip around the sun.
20) If the entire timeline of Earth’s existence was compressed into one year, humans would be born around 11:58pm on 31st December.
21) Lobsters don’t die naturally, nor do they age.
22) There was an Emu war in 1932 between Emu and the Australian army. The Emus won.
23) If you could fold a piece of paper 42 times, it would reach the moon.
24) A cloud typically weighs 1.1 million pounds.
25) Costco sells enough toilet paper each year to wrap around the earth 1200 times.
What a weird and wonderful world!
One thought on “Absurd But True”